On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 22:04:43 +0200
Mona Meyer <meym...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ubuntu 22.04
> shorewall 5.2.3.4-1
>
> /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
> shorewall.conf:LOG_LEVEL="info"
> shorewall.conf:LOGFILE=/var/log/shorewall.log
> shorewall.conf:LOGFORMAT="Shorewall:%s:%s "
>
> /etc/default/shorewall
> startup=1
> RESTARTOPTIONS=""
> RELOADOPTIONS=""
>
> shorewall is automatically started at system startup, but no activity
> is logged under /var/log/syslog. However, when I restart shorewall
> ("shorewall restart"), any activity is logged under syslog as
> desired. I have not changed the original Ubuntu startup scripts....

Sounds like you haven't enabled shorewall.service. Try "systemctl enable
shorewall.service" to enable startup on boot.

Note: your LOGFILE is incorrect in your config. that
should be /var/log/syslog. Because shorewall does not itself do logging
(kernel does) LOGFILE in shorewall.conf tells shorewall where from to
find the log, not where to log.

--
Tuomo Soini <t...@foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services