Brian,

in this situation, you can simply reimport the Pictures folder into
Shotwell.  Shotwell will ignore any photos which are already in its
library, and will import the others.

And yes, in 0.8 we do plan to extend Shotwell so it can notice the new
files and import them automatically (there will probably be a preference
checkbox to enable this behavior).

cheers
adam