Kimaidou,

On 11/08/2010 01:03 AM, kimaidou wrote:
Hi people,

I would like to first thank the devs involved in shotwell. This software is
KISS. It is exactly what I was looking for : light, simple but powerfull.

Thanks!  :)

I have some ideas regarding functionalities I used in jbrout (one of my
favorite) which are very important when you import and classify some
pictures.

Basically, when you import new pictures in your library, you :
1/ import all of them
2/ first pass : select the bad ones to delete them
3/ rotate the pictures if necessary
4/ tag the pictures
5/ choose some pictures to export in you web photo gallery (optionnaly
classify them in separate folder with the month, as 2010-10 , 2010-11, etc.

Right - this is a very common workflow.

To accomplish all theses steps smoothly, I have some features missing in
shotwell :

1/
  a>  an option to automatically rename the pictures with the exif date on
import, such as "20100912_085635a.ext" .

Right.  This is http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/1942 .

b>  import videos as well (I have seen it will be released in one of the next
versions : great !!! )

Yes - video support is now mostly implemented in trunk and will be present in the upcoming 0.8 release.

2/ I personally use the "reject" vote to preselect all the pictures I want
to delete after this first pass. It could be great to just add a display
filter : "All the rejected pictures", so that we can just display them all,
then CTRL+a and "Delete"

This seems like a good idea. I've ticketed this at http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2786 .

3/ An option to rotate the original picture (and not only save the pref in
the database).

Coming in 0.8: see http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2788 .

4/
a>To make this step easier, It coud be handy to display the tags in full
display mode and fullscreen mode (as the vote is displayed). This way when
browsing picture by picture, we can easily see wich pics are not taged /
which tags are missing.

Agreed.  This is http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2238 .

b>  In the thumbnail mode, add a way to easily see all the pictures with no
tags (to help retag all theses pictures when the weather is rainy during a
winter week-end :) )

Yes - a few people have asked for this. See http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/1609 .

c>  Add some handy shortcuts in full display / fullscreen mode :
* typing any letter pops up the "add tag" windows (CTRL T) : this way, no
need to CTRL+T : just type the first letters, then Enter

Under consideration: see http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/1899 .

* Press "Spacebar" selects the picture : when you get out the full display
or fullscreen mode, eg with ESC, the selection remains and you can decide to
do an action (mass tag, delete, etc.)

See my comments below about flagging photos.

5/
a>  Add a "basket" selection mode : a way to have a selection wich remains
when you click out of a picture ANd which remains between sessions. Jbrout
had this feature, and it was great because you could stop the "choosing job"
one day and go on another day.

Right: we want to implement this by letting the user flag photos, which is similar to your basket selection. See http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2756 . Hopefully in 0.9.

c>  Optionnaly display the picture date under the thumbnail, so that you can
select and export easily all the picture taken e.g.during "2010, august."

Once we implement views as described below, you'll easily be able to select all the photos taken during that month.

d>  Another feature linked : i"n the Event view, allow to see all the
pictures recursively. Now, when I double click on "january", it shows the
events (the days) of this month when pictures have been taken, but you have
to double click on one of theses days to see the pictures. What if I want to
see all pictures of january ?

We'd like to let the user choose views, so that they can see either all events from January or all photos from January. This is http://trac.yorba.org/ticket/2413 .

e>  Allow to export to FTP (I tried mounting a FTP with nautilus, but got an
error)

Did you get the error when you tried to mount the directory in Nautilus, or when you tried to export photos to the directory via Shotwell? What did the error message look like? Shotwell should be able to export to an FTP-mounted directory via Nautilus with no problem, I think.

Hum.. I have written a long email... I am just very excited about shotwell,
so I decided to give some feedback of my personal use... I hope I have not
been too direct (english is not my native language as you have read ;)

Your English is great! Thanks for all the suggestions - we're considering most of them already, but this kind of feedback really helps us understand our users' priorities. Cheers -

adam