UNITED NATIONS Security Council
Distr. GENERAL
S/1999/705

ORIGINAL: ENGLISH

QUESTION OF EAST TIMOR
Report of the Secretary-General

1. The present report is submitted in pursuance of paragraph 14 of Security
Council resolution 1246 (1999) of 11 June 1999, in which the Council
requested me to keep it closely informed of the situation in East Timor and
to continue to report to it every 14 days on the implementation of its
resolutions and of the Tripartite Agreements and on the security situation
in East Timor.

I. CURRENT STATUS AND DISPOSITION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
MISSION IN EAST TIMOR

2. The operation of the United Nations Mission in East Timor (UNAMET) has
progressed markedly since the Security Council last received a report on the
matter (S/1999/595). The Chief Electoral Officer, Mr. Jeffrey Fischer, arrived
in Dili on 15 June, to lead the core electoral team already in place. The
first group of United Nations Volunteers (UNV) is currently undergoing
training in Darwin, Australia, and will arrive in East Timor on 23 June.
Full UNV
deployment is expected by 8 July. The United Nations Volunteers, who will
serve as field electoral officers, will arrive in Darwin in four groups of
approximately 100 each and will subsequently be deployed to East Timor upon
the completion of training. Deployment of this large and important UNAMET
contingent has been slowed down by a number of factors, including the
availability of Indonesian visas and the necessity of awaiting the
implementation of resolution 1246 (1999) before completing the memorandum
of understanding regarding UNVs.

3. A code of conduct for observers of the consultation process is being
formulated for distribution to all accredited international observers, while
discussions are ongoing between Indonesia and Portugal regarding the number of
observers each country will send to officially observe the consultation.
Electoral planning and preparations are proceeding actively. Reconnaissance of
all 13 districts has been completed and the locations of the eight regional
offices have been decided. Four are already open, and the rest will be
operational by 24 June. Planning for the deployment of the 400 field electoral
officers and the establishment of the 200 registration centres from which
they will work is well advanced. The relevant directives relating to the popular
consultations have been drafted and will be promulgated by the Head of
Mission.

4. As reported by the Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs in his
10 June briefing to the Security Council, I have appointed Mr. Alan Mills as
Civilian Police Commissioner. The Commissioner, together with an advance team
of United Nations civilian police personnel, has been working with the local
police since 12 June. The first group of 41 civilian police arrived in Dili on
21 June, after training in Darwin. Out of 274 police personnel required for
UNAMET, 254 have already been identified by Member States and are in the
process of recruitment. I remain confident that, with the help of Member
States, all United Nations police personnel will be deployed by 10 July.

5. As reported in the 10 June briefing, a very welcome development has been
the agreement by the Government of Indonesia to the deployment of 50 United
Nations military liaison officers. The deployment of the military liaison
officers will begin this week, with the dispatch of the advance team. I am
writing separately to the Security Council regarding the appointment of the
Chief Military Liaison Officer.

6. The public information component of UNAMET has launched the campaign to
provide the East Timorese with the information necessary to make an informed
choice on the ballot. The initial step in that campaign was the broadcast on
local radio of my statement to the people of East Timor outlining the purpose
and objectives of UNAMET, pointing to the impartiality of the Mission with
respect to the outcome of the consultation, emphasizing the secrecy of the
ballot and calling upon all East Timorese to show restraint and to refrain
from violence. UNAMET has begun radio broadcasts of information on the popular
consultation in English, Bahasa Indonesia, Portuguese and Tetun for three
hours each day. Printed materials in the four languages, including
translations of the 5 May Agreements, are being developed and will be
distributed
throughout the Territory. The Mission has benefited from the substantial
cooperation of local print and radio outlets in disseminating information
regarding the popular consultation across the Territory. Unfortunately,
UNAMET has not thus far been able to conclude an agreement to use the
broadcast facilities of the Indonesian State television company. Information
on the popular consultation is also being made available to East Timorese
worldwide through the United Nations Web site.

7. The staff of the Mission’s political component has maintained regular,
frequent contact with representatives of pro-independence and pro-autonomy
groups and with the Indonesian authorities. Through those contacts, they are
working to make the Commission on Peace and Stability fully operational and to
obtain guarantees for the security of all members of the Commission. UNAMET
also participated in a series of Commission meetings which took place in
Jakarta last week and which enabled Mr. Xanana Gusmão, the imprisoned
president of the National Council of Timorese Resistance (CNRT) and
Commander of its armed
wing, the Armed Forces for the National Liberation of East Timor (Falintil), to
participate in the Commission for the first time. Considerable progress has
been made towards the elaboration of a code of conduct on peace and
security by which all parties should abide during and after the consultation
process. The Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) Falintil and the militia
leadership have expressed their readiness, in principle, to concentrate
their forces in designated areas and to enable the police to exercise full
responsibility for law and order.

Important commitments were also made by pro-independence and pro-integration
leaders to respect the consultation process, to lay down their arms and to
achieve disarmament well in advance of the ballot. It is hoped that actual
implementation of these steps will lead to a major improvement of the security
situation in East Timor, such that a credible consultation process may be
conducted. UNAMET will be expected to propose and participate in modalities
for the laying down of arms and disarmament to take place, an issue with
implications for UNAMET’s mandate and resources. In order to fulfil such a
responsibility, it will be critical for all those concerned to provide full
information regarding the numbers and disposition of their forces. UNAMET has
also supported the efforts by the bishops of Dili and Baucau to advance the
Dare II reconciliation process between East Timorese leaders aimed at bringing
about harmony within East Timorese society, regardless of the outcome of the
ballot. A series of meetings is scheduled for this week and the next in
Jakarta, with the participation of Mr. Gusmão, which, with the requisite good
will and the support of all concerned, could produce important results.

8. UNAMET political officers have begun to actively monitor the fairness of
the political environment across the Territory. Their reports indicate that
pro-integration militia activities are continuing and have displaced large
numbers of people, a development which could have serious implications for the
universality of the ballot. Premature pro-autonomy campaigning, while the
security and freedom of pro-independence groups to carry out their activities
freely remains severely restricted, is perpetuating the uneven political plane
which I have reported on previously.

9. As the Security Council will recall from my report of 22 May (S/1999/595)
regarding the concept of the UNAMET operations, the challenges of bringing the
Mission to full deployment and operational readiness have been numerous,
particularly given the extremely tight consultation timetable. I would wish to
note here that during the negotiations leading up to the 5 May Agreements, the
United Nations had informed the parties that the 8 August ballot date would be
extremely difficult to meet since such a timetable provided no room for the
practical obstacles which almost inevitably arise in such undertakings, but
that in view of the strong preference for holding the consultation by 8
August, the United Nations would make every effort to do so. Major strides
have indeed
been made in the deployment of staff and matériel commencing immediately
after the signing of the Agreements on 5 May, and the pace has quickened
since UNAMET
received its formal mandate under Council resolution 1246 (1999) on 11
June, the adoption of which had to be awaited before formal understandings
could be reached with Member States and agencies providing personnel to the
Mission.

10. As I have noted previously, UNAMET has enjoyed outstanding support from
contributing Member States. Excellent cooperation and flexibility have been
forthcoming from many different levels of the Government of Indonesia.
Owing to its proximity, the city of Darwin, capital of Australia’s Northern
Territory, has been made an essential staging point for the operation, and
Australia has taken swift steps to accelerate the deployment through Darwin.
UNAMET has come into being with unusual speed. Nevertheless, it is becoming
apparent that full deployment will take until 10 July at the earliest.

11. One practical issue that could cause delays is that the Indonesian
authorities have not yet authorized UNAMET to use airports other than those at
Dili and Baucau for its fixed-wing aircraft. UNAMET requires complete freedom
of movement for its aircraft in order to carry out its tasks in an efficient and
timely manner.

II. SECURITY ISSUES

12. To meet the timetable outlined in the Agreement on modalities (A/53/951-
S/1999/513, annex II), registration should begin no later than 22 June. The
Security Council will recall that under the Agreement regarding security
(ibid., annex III) I am called upon, prior to the start of registration, to
ascertain whether, based on the objective evaluation of the United Nations
Mission, the necessary security situation exists for the peaceful
implementation of the consultation process. In paragraph 6 of my 5 May
report on East Timor
(A/53/951-S/1999/513), I noted the main elements that needed to be in place in
order to enable me to make such a determination. These included the bringing
of armed civilian groups under strict control and the prompt arrest and
prosecution of those who incited or threatened to use violence, a ban on
rallies by armed groups, the redeployment of Indonesian military forces, the
immediate
institution of a process of laying down of arms by all armed groups to be
completed well in advance of the holding of the ballot and the freedom of
association and expression of all political forces and tendencies. At that
time I reported that high levels of tension and serious incidents of political
violence existed in East Timor.

13. In subsequent oral reports provided to the Security Council on 10 and
16 June, some welcome positive developments were noted. The establishment of a
high-level Indonesian Task Force, which reports to a ministerial-level team in
Jakarta, has provided for excellent channels of communication and operational
cooperation between UNAMET and the Indonesian authorities. With the deployment
of UNAMET, security conditions in the cities of Dili and Baucau have visibly
improved. The recent activities of the Commission on Peace and Stability are
also encouraging, though much remains to be done to make the Commission an
effective mechanism for addressing security issues on the ground. Similarly,
the process of reconciliation between East Timorese leaders has moved forward,
with pro-autonomy leaders having recently met with Xanana Gusmão and other
pro-independence leaders in Jakarta and the Dare II process showing promising
signs. However, as I made clear in my recent oral reports to the Council, the
welcome atmosphere of the relative calm experienced in Dili and Baucau has not
extended throughout the rest of the Territory. In particular, the situation in
the western districts remains very serious.

14. In many areas, pro-integration militias, believed by many observers to be
operating with the acquiescence of elements of the army, carry out acts of
violence against the population and exercise an intimidating influence over
it.

The condition of the internally displaced is poor, and delivery of
assistance to them has practically ceased over the last three months as
local NGOs, church organizations and other humanitarian organizations have
been subjected to threats by the pro-integration militia. In addition to the
serious
humanitarian and human rights concerns that such displacement raises, I
should also note that the registration process may be seriously hampered
owing to the fact that current plans call for East Timorese to register and
vote in the same
location.

15. Militia activities continue to have a constricting effect on political
freedom, silencing pro-independence activists and their supporters and forcing
them into hiding, thus jeopardizing the necessary openness of the consultation
process. It is a matter of concern that the militias, which have been involved
in acts of violence against civilians, are being presented by some
officials as civil defence forces. The reported appointment of the head of
one militia to a position in a proposed civil defence force for Dili is a
case in point.

16. UNAMET has also received complaints from pro-integration leaders of
violent activity by Falintil and is seeking information about the incidents
cited. Last week, UNAMET, following discussions with the police and
Falintil, successfully conducted an operation to accept the handover by
Falintil of two hostages, a police officer and a militia member. The
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) was also involved in the
operation. An examination of the two men revealed that, though not seriously
injured, they bore bruises from
mistreatment while in captivity. I reiterate my call for all parties to
refrain from recourse to violence, and remind all parties of the necessity
for the utmost restraint to be exercised both before and after the consultation.

17. While the security situation has severely limited the opportunity for
public expression by pro-independence activists, pro-autonomy campaigning has
been actively pursued, in many cases, by local officials. There are strong
indications that public funds have been used to this end. This is contrary to
the provisions of the 5 May Agreements, which limit campaigning to the
designated campaign period, prohibit the use of public funds for campaign
purposes and restrict government officials of East Timor to campaigning
only in their private capacity and without recourse to the pressure of office.

III. OBSERVATIONS

18. My Personal Representative for East Timor and my Special Representative
for the East Timor Popular Consultation have met this week with Indonesian
Government officials at the highest level, including President Habibie, to
discuss UNAMET and the situation in East Timor. They are encouraged by the
assurances received of the Indonesian Government’s intention to ensure proper
security conditions. The consultation process called for in the 5 May
Agreements represents an historic opportunity to resolve the question of East
Timor peacefully, and I am well aware of the incentives to reach a definitive
answer to this question at the earliest possible date. However, in order for
the consultation to serve as a foundation for lasting stability, the process
itself must be transparent and all parties must have had the opportunity to
express themselves freely, in order that they may have confidence in the
result.

19. At the present time, I would be unable to certify that the necessary
conditions exist to begin the operational phases of the consultation process,
given the security situation throughout much of East Timor and the absence
of a level playing field. I would also wish to allow UNAMET sufficient time to
reach the strength necessary to begin registration successfully. It is
necessary to begin registration at the same time in all areas, in order to
provide all East Timorese with an equal opportunity to register for the 20
days called for
in the Agreements. It is therefore my intention that UNAMET not begin the
operational phases until it is fully deployed, which would also give the
Indonesian authorities time to address the pending security concerns.

20. Full deployment of all field electoral officers and the majority of other
personnel to East Timor, even at the current expedited pace of deployment,
would mean that registration could begin on 13 July, which represents a delay of
three weeks from the originally planned starting date of 22 June. I hope
that the security situation will have improved sufficiently by then to
enable me to
make a positive determination of the security conditions so that the operational
phases of the consultation can begin. Thus, I wish to inform the Security
Council that, in view of the concerns I have described above, I have
decided to postpone my determination as called for under paragraph 3 of the
Agreement regarding security (A/53/1991-S/1999/513, annex III) for a period
of three weeks. This will in turn inevitably entail a delay of the ballot date.
Through my Personal Representative, I have informed the parties to the
Agreements of this and they have both concurred with a two-week postponement
of the ballot date.
---

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Kirim email ke