On 29/10/2009, at 11:38, George Michaelson wrote:

I object to this document as it stands.

I believe the document needs to have the 3 hour time cycle removed, and some form of operational guidelines placed in a distinct document (whether 3 hours, or some other time, is up to that document)

Seconded. I think that this (and similar guesstimates) should be in an operational document.

For reference, the relevant text is in section 6:

   Note that since relying parties will perform these operations
regularly, it is more efficient for the relying party to request from the repository system only those objects that have changed since the
   relying party last updated its local cache. A relying party may
   choose any frequency it desires for downloading and validating
   updates from the repository. However, any relying party that uses
   RPKI data as an input to operational routing decisions (e.g., ISPs,
RIRs, NIRs) SHOULD download and validate updates at least once every
   three hours.

Rob

--
Robert Loomans                                 Email:  robe...@apnic.net
Senior Software Engineer, APNIC                Phone:    +61 7 3858 3100