Russ White <r...@cisco.com> wrote:
> To: John Scudder <j...@juniper.net>
>
>>   * Is the AS-Path represented in the route the same as the path
>>     through which the route update traveled
>>
>> This doesn't speak to any particular AS in the path. It just asks
>> whether there is a custodial chain that extends back to the route's
>> origin.
>
> Why does the custodial chain matter?

   I can't speak for John Scudder, but I would guess he means that it
doesn't _matter_ whether it matters: that is what folks want to know.

   We have quite a history of "assuming" that the chain shows which
ASs the routing information has traveled. In SIDR we are realizing how
easily that can be untrue.

   It's natural for folks to want to ratify the assumption.

   Speaking for myself, I'm uneasy about making this a goal _before_
I'm convinced it's reasonable to achieve it.

   (This doesn't mean I insist on nailing down a solution before setting
the goal -- it means I suspect that the goal is not reasonably achievable
with current hardware.)

--
John Leslie <j...@jlc.net>