I'm happy to see things tagged in a normative fashion, I just think putting
the eggs into the filename/directory basket as a standards action is
worrying.

Cheers
Terry

Since we're using basic file systems for the repository (e.g., vs. LDAP), I think file names are an obvious candidate for labeling the object types in an easy fashion, for an RP's initial processing. Ultimately, an RP will check the OID for each object and verify the signature on each object (for the critical, signed objects). But with the file name extension we allow an RP to rely on that top level declaration by a CA, and then see if that declaration holds up when more detailed checks are made.

Steve