> From: sidr-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:sidr-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
> Paul Hoffman

> the charter limits the topics that are meant to be
> fully covered by the protocols.
>
> Personally, I would prefer to see the threat model document say in the
> introduction "the following topics are considered to be BGP security
> threats but are not dealt with in this document:" followed by a list

[WEG]
+1, or even have the document deal with them at least briefly, but be clear
that the current scope (or other limitations) makes it difficult to solve them.

Not to put words in Danny's mouth, but I think that there are two general
concerns being raised about this document and the -reqs document.
The first, which is far easier to deal with, is that a document(s) that should
be relatively solution-agnostic is being tailored to preselect/justify an
existing (though still nascent) solution based on the current charter scope. It
should be a full discussion of the problem space that leads to selection and
prioritization of the important problems to solve, acceptable risks, etc. This
then serves as a method to (design and) evaluate a solution, whether there's
only one, or whether there are multiples.
I too find it a bit strange that we're doing things in the reverse order (or in
parallel), as usually these sorts of docs are written because the solution
doesn't exist yet, and this helps to clearly articulate the problem space,
rather than retroactively defining it. Am I missing something regarding the
intent of these documents?

The second is more a question of charter, and scope for the solution, which is
definitely limited by charter. However, having a more comprehensive document on
threats and design requirements may indeed drive a review of the scope and
charter, either because it brings to light additional considerations, or
because those who actually need to implement the solution on their networks
have provided feedback that leads to a different conclusion.
I'm not recommending that we analyze the problem forever, because a partial
solution that is deployable may indeed be better than a theoretical one that
solves more problems, but never materializes (or at the very least takes
longer). But there is a balance point between those, and I'm not totally
certain we're at that equilibrium yet, regardless of the current charter. There
have now been multiple folks expressing concerns over the costs (be they
operational, capital, expense, etc) to implement vs the benefit based on what
risks are mitigated by the solution vs which are not and the exposure that
represents to one's chosen line of business, so there's some value in having an
eyes-wide-open discussion about it.

Thanks
Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.