Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:00:43PM +0000, Murphy, Sandra:
> Replacing ASs in the AS_PATH sounds like a behavior you would want the
> security protections to prohibit.  It would enable attacks.
>
> Can you explain how you would distinguish legitimate uses of this feature?

I've not used this feature, but from cisco's documentation, it doesnt appear
to function as raszuk described.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtbgpdas.html

if local-as is configured for a peer(-group), ie: if configured to peer as
a different AS than your own, such as for merging two ASes or changing your
ASN, then:
"The replace-as keyword is used to prepend only the local autonomous-system
number (as configured with the ip-address argument) to the AS_PATH attribute.
The autonomous-system number from the local BGP routing process is not
prepended."

though I think that is unclear, I interpret it to mean that if my ASN is 1
and, I peer as ASN 2 with ebgp peer 3, then a route received from AS 3 will
have the path [2 3], but if configured with replace-as, it will be [3].

I do not believe that the feature allows the arbitrary replacement of AS path
elements.