Hey Rob,

One more meta-comment on this thread: we (as designers) should not expect to be
prescribing exactly how operators will run their systems.  Here in the very
early stages we are seeing the early adopters deploy in ways that make _their_
operations easy.  imho, this is always going to be the bottom line/starting
point.  If a solution requires a specific operational model (when others are
technically correct), and the overall system scalability can suffer this way, I
think we have a fundamental problem.

More succinctly, operators shouldn't need to know why you want their certs in a
hierarchy.  Rather, we should recognize that they are telling us that flat
structures make their lives easier, and we should use that to reengineer what
_they_ need.

Just my 0.02,

Eric