On 4/6/2012 2:10 PM, Murphy, Sandra wrote:
So where's the dos attack?

(Do note that the bgpsec signatures would detect this at the first point that
checked the signatures, so your neighbor would have spotted the injection -
unless it was the source of the injection.)

So I think I finally see what Shane's getting at.  Let's say:

- I'm a bad actor (A)
- Bob is my neighbor (B)
- Charlie is Bob's neighbor (C)

A is trying to cause B and C to have different views of the world. In addition, we must assume:

- B's router ignores AS_PATH and just uses BGPSEC_Path_Signature
- C's router checks both AS_PATH and BGPSEC_Path_Signature

As the bad actor, A injects C into the AS_PATH (malicious), but processes BGPSEC_Path_Signature normally, and sends the update to B.

- B verifies BGPSEC_Path_Signature only, passes it to C
- C detects a loop in AS_PATH and drops the update

A has just caused B to accept an update while simultaneously causing C to drop it silently. While not a very strong attack (B could always filter the route anyway), I could imagine it being a starting point for causing confusion.

This is solved by prescribing that AS_PATH/AS4_PATH is ignored when BGPSEC is enabled, but Shane has a good point that we might need to coordinate with IDR on this. I defer to the WG chairs on that coordination.

-Andrew