On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:21 AM, Jeffrey Haas <> wrote:

> In the case where the paths are not congruent (which shouldn't happen
> unlike the AS4_PATH case in RFC 4893 - we don't tunnel bgpsec across
> other BGP), we probably have some sort of hard error case.  One
> reasonable assumption is
> that a non-BGPSEC speaker mucked with the AS_PATH - perhaps an iBGP
> speaker doing path manipulations for policy.  IMO, the proper
> behavior here is to *not* propagate the route at a BGPSEC ASBR
> boundary; any BGP speaker that manipulates the AS_PATH in such a way
> as to break the congruency of ASes between AS_PATH and signature MUST
> be a BGPSEC speaker.
>
> The above still doesn't deal with common deployment considerations
> such as as-override, replace-as and remove-private.

This just highlights the semantic difference between the BGPSEC
path and the AS_PATH.

They may be different legitimately. This is why we need both.

A receiver can make its own decision whether the difference
between the paths should cause path invalidation or not.
If a sender is legitimately manipulating an AS_PATH, then the
receiver should know about it and use this knowledge to help
in the decision.

--
Jakob Heitz.