On Nov 7, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> In addition to Sandy's concerns, the agreement contains a third-party
> indemnification clause (as do other ARIN RPKI-related agreements) that makes
> it difficult for many state and federal government (and large EDUs) to simply
> click through and sign.  In most of these environments, the network engineers
> who would be wanting to try out RPKI would not be permitted to agree to such
> indemnification.  This may also be true at large corporations.

> This, I think, has very little architectural impact, but it does mean
> additional hoops for operators (like myself) to experiment with RPKI and/or
> put it in production.  As such, further discussion is probably out of scope
> for SIDR, and I will take this to arin-discuss@ accordingly.  But I did want
> to give this group an FYI that this may be at least a speed-bump on the
> deployment front.

Thanks for the feedback and explanation Michael, I understand.

Quite frankly, I share _ARIN's concern about the implications of this and their
resulting exposures, and I appreciate their careful consideration of this
issue.   It's certainly on _my "Risks relating to our business" radar.

I also appreciate Sandy's attempt to consider this in the context, i.e., "I
think the wg needs to consider the potential impact and any potential
mechanisms that would lessen impact."  and I would add "and figure out what the
real constraints are and iterate our problem space and design/solutions space
to accommodate these concerns."

Impacting state in routers through this machinery introduces new parties to the
Internet routing system control plane, and ARIN clearly takes this seriously --
I'm glad.

Introducing RPKI data directly into routers, which this WG is doing, will
result in controls effectuated in the routing system.  This has system-wide
implications and will impact my network *whether I participate in that system
or not*.  This IS a fundamental architectural change to how things work today,
and we all need to consider the implications very carefully.

This fuels a great deal of my concern here, particularly when I don't see this
solving some pretty fundamental issues, such as the Google incident today.

-danny