>can take 4+ hours to synchronize (only in SIDR do we talk about minutes and
>hours as if they are "short"
>convergence times).

As has been noted before, a *running* rpki cache server has low delays at each
polling instance (see top of Table 1 for 100 up to 10,000 *changed* RPKI
objects).
For a *new* rpki cache server that is starting up and fetching all 1.5 million
objects,
the rpki rsync delay is larger (4 hours). Routers would not be using this *new*
server
until it signals it is ready to serve. In the meanwhile, routers are being
served
by other *up and running* rpki cache servers.

>3. So, I would assume a much higher number than the O(1000) you're assuming
>here, and bring the number closer to the 40,000 contained in the original
>process.

As Eric has also shown, it makes a difference of only about 10% in the total
rpki rsync delay
when you increase the # SIAs (repositories) from 5 to 42,000.
BTW, just to note here again Tim's comment to Eric about this,
"In any case 42k repositories seems a bit much, though more than 5 is very
likely."

>> C. Number of router certs:

--snip --
>> That gives us an estimate of 678,720 (=4*20*6720 + 2*2*35280) for the total
># router certs.
>> We think this number is conservative (high) but reasonable for now.
>
>I don't think this is right, either --you're assuming a "stub AS" will only
>have two
>routers, which is completely off base. The smallest stub AS will have two
>routers, larger ones will have more as they scale upwards. Several large
>enterprise networks I've worked on have at least 20, if not more, edge routers
>across a single AS, into multiple providers.
>
>The size of a transit is also questionable --I can't imagine an average of 20
>edge
>routers for a transit provider. Are there really so many 2 and 3 edge router
>transits that it would offset AT&T, Level 3, and many others we know must be
>on the order of hundreds of edges?
>
>204k eBGP speakers is a gross understimate of the size of the Internet at
>large.

Would you like to share a ball park number you know that is a better estimate
for the # eBGP speakers? It is a parameter in the model; so easy to rerun.

Sriram