>I'm pretty sure the captured proceedings for "Discussion of Key Rollover
>Mechanisms for
>Replay-Attack Protection" [!=beacon?] mentions "beacon" at least eleven times.

And hence the confusion.

Sriram's presentation was about strategies of doing key rollover, not a
protocol feature.

>Adding new attributes to standards-track BGP that require a "refresh" function
>through *some*
>new attribute by the origin AND independently by each transit AS (and perhaps
>each
>BGPSEC-enabled BGP router therein) under the auspices of "key rollover" rather
>than
>"freshness" is, well, still pretty much the same thing functionally - they're
>still periodic updates
 >in a soft state protocol that don't exist in BGP today.

One of the strategies Sriram mentioned involved key rollover at regular
intervals.  The other strategies do not change keys regularly.

The new attribute does not have a required refresh function.  It uses crypto
and any use of crypto requires the ability to change keys.

The strategy for changing the crypto keys is an individual decision of the
ISPs, not a protocol feature.  ISPs may decide to change keys at regular
periods, or they may not. (And reports of current ISP behavior wrt TCP MD5 keys
seems to be that they currently decide never to change keys at all,
ironically.)  No one knows what ISPs will decide, so it is incorrect to
describe the system effects of this one strategy out of many key rollover
strategies as a feature of the protocol.

>I still contend that doing anything to introduce periodic updates in the
>global inter-domain routing system
>is a terrible idea and is something we should avoid altogether.  Even
>[ripv1-rfc1058] provides some
>hints as to why this is a bad idea.

Periodic updates are not introduced in this wg.  Periodic updates are not a
feature of the protocol.  Periodic updates could arise only if everyone chose
the regular interval key rollover strategy. There is nothing in this sidr work
that forces that choice.   The strategy for changing keys is a function of the
*individual* *independent* decisions by the ISPs.

Perhaps you would prefer it if the ops document discouraged the ISPs from
choosing that particular key rollover strategy.

--Sandy, speaking as co-chair