> Indeed.  My point was not to draw RPKI into the solution space, or claim
> something about its goals.  I was just trying to illustrate that the wg has
> already invested (heavily) in systems and designs that are not semantically
> part of BGP.  It just seemed silly (imho) to start claiming that if something
> isn't part of BGP's semantics, we should treat it as taboo...

The problem is, of course, that a "route leak," is explicitly a part of
BGP's semantics --on the filtering side of things. Communities, for
instance, are very much a part of the semantics of BGP. They are used to
filter routes and control the places where routes are advertised;
therefore filtering is a part of BGP's semantics. Proving a route should
not be advertised is as much a part of this problem as proving a route
should be advertised --in fact, you can't really separate the two
problems, though we've been trying to for years.

"Securing the semantics of BGP," is just a convenient way to restrict
the scope to BGP-SEC (SBGP), while being flexible enough to leave out
the things BGP-SEC (SBGP) can't fix as well. We need to begin from the
beginning, starting with a real requirements document with real
requirements framed in a way actually designed to protect the operation
of BGP from the perspective of intent, rather than operation. I'll say
it again (to be ignored again): all security is about intent.

Russ

--
<><
riwh...@verisign.com