Pradosh,

On 6 Nov 2013, at 20:40, Jac Kloots <jac.klo...@surfnet.nl> wrote:

> Hi Pradosh,
>
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Pradosh Mohapatra wrote:
>
>> Couple of points.
>>
>> 2) That said, it is still a good practice to set preference based on each
>> validation state
>>     because of the distributed nature of the network (the ROA database on
>> all routers
>>     in an AS will not be consistent) and because of incremental deployment
>> of origin
>>     validation. Think of the following simple topology:
>
> I dont agree, the ROA database is the same everywhere. I verified and checked
> this between several routers having a validation database.

Exactly, the published material in the repositories is always identical. The
only reason local, validated ROA databases can be different is because of the
update interval of the validation software that operators have running, i.e. I
may have just fetched an update with new ROAs that you don’t have yet.

To give you some perspective, the RIPE NCC RPKI Validator fetches updates every
four hours.

Alex Band
RIPE NCC