Hello,

I have a question regarding the possibility of using mitm attacks to change repository contents/the validity of signed objects and router certificates.

Every CA instance has a corresponding CRL and Manifest. The CRL contains certificates which are revoked and the Manifest contains just Signed Objects.

Because of the rsync protocol, a mitm attack between RP and repository is possible. If the attacker withholds ...

... a signed object, the rp software would recognize it by checking the manifest.

... a EE certificate, the rp software would recognize it, because the corresponding signed object can't be validated.

... a manifest/crl, the rp sofware would recognize it, because every CA instance has to have a manifest and a crl.

... a CA certificate and all files underneath that certificate, the rp software WOULDN'T recognize anything. So the whole structure underneath that certificate would be invalid.

... a Router certificate, the RP WOULDN'T recognize it, because it isn't listet in any other file.

Regonize means recognizing the missing file, not necessarily the attack. It could also be a mistake/bug/etc.

Are the described cases right or did I miss something? Would be great to get feedback.

Kind regards

Demian Rosenkranz