The text needs a lot of work, i.e., odd English constructs are very common, and there are a number of typos, some of which I have noted below. I thought the current acronym is BGPsec. not BGPSEC. Also the document has too many instances of “could” and “would” where more normative statements ought to appear. I suggest the authors adopt (and clearly state) some of the assumptionsthey cite, then revise the document based on those assumptions. This I-D says it’s Standards Track, but it doesn’t read that way.

Section 2:

Comceptually -> conceptually

Router certificate rollover is only superficially similar to key rollover a per RFC 6489; that process deals with CA certificates. Not EE certificates.

“…routing information may be lost after the rollover process is finished.” How about “may be treated as unauthenticated …”

the discussion of distribution of a stale BGPsec_Path attribute shoulddescribe this as part of an attack, explicitly.

“The Security Requirements for BGP Path Validation [RFC7353] also

describes the need for protection against a replay attack, …”

What 7353 says is:

4.3Replay of BGP UPDATE messages need not be completely prevented, but a BGPsec design SHOULD provide a mechanism to control the window of exposure to replay attacks.

I think the text in this document should be a bit closer to that in 7353.

Section 3:

propogated -> propagated

correspondent -> corresponding

certificate key may be compromised -> router private key …

suchas EST-> such as EST

BGP speaker that hold -> BGP speaker that holds

This chose will -> This choice will

The text refers to “New Certificate Pre-Publication” but it’s just publication of a certificate prior to beginning to make use of the corresponding private key. I suggest you remove the “pre” here.

I think step 4 should describe the circumstances under which revocation is required or recommended.

I’m a bit confused about step 5 here. Do we have a RTR withdrawal message? I would expect the normal process would be to issue an update with the new signatures an have it replace the current update that was signed under the old key. We have no way to ensure that this implicit withdrawal will propagate (in the context of a malicious router) but that’s why the revocation of the old certificate is needed.

Section 4:

mitigate mitigate -> mitigate

If pre-provisioning done ahead of time …

if it isn’t done “ahead of time”, it’s not pre-provisioning J!

“ … if there have been no topology changes, then no security threat comes from a replay …” I think the vulnerability is even more narrowly constrained. Only if there are topology changes that make the route associated with the old BGPsec_Path attribute preferable to the route associated with the new one, right?

“For a very small but critical fraction of the prefixes, the requirement may be in the order of hours.” This assertion needs to be explain with some examples or further explanatory text.

I disagree with statement #2 in the Advantages text (page 10). I woud argue that many of the costs are borne by the RPs who have to fetch and validate the new router certificates and then provide the new keys and ASN information to their routers.

I also disagree with item #4 under disadvantages. I think the increased burden on RPKI caches is analogous to the burden on repositories.