Hi Iljitsch,

>But unless I missed something, the BGPsec drafts don't even talk about the
>unknown state:
>"The validation procedure results in one of two states: 'Valid' and 'Not
>Valid'."
>I don't see any reasonable deployment scenario with only valid and invalid. I
>think this needs to be addressed in a BGPsec document.

The validation in the BGPsec draft is only about the AS path signatures in
signed updates.
It is talking about the validity of the Secure_Path.
If all the signatures in a Signature_Block are valid, then the Signature_Block
(and hence Secure_Path) is 'Valid';
Else, the Signature_Block is 'Not Valid'.
If there are two Signature_Blocks (e.g. when two different algorithms are in
use) in an update,
then at least one of them must be 'Valid' in order for the Secure_Path to be
valid.

Separately, prefix-origin validation has three possible outcomes as you have
observed already.
That is the topic of RFC 6483 (Informational) and RFC 6811 (Standards Track).

Sriram