At Sun, 01 Jan 2017 08:26:34 -0800, Yaron Sheffer wrote:

> Reviewer: Yaron Sheffer
> Review result: Has Nits
>
> * 3.1.1: The serial number in RFC 6487 is still a real, unique serial
> number that uniquely identifies the certificate. Here it is used as
> something other than a serial number, which is explicitly NOT unique,
> and the CA is left to decide how to make it unique in the face of
> potentially repeating BGP IDs. If this is not a real issue (e.g.
> because duplicate IDs are rare and never within a RIR), please say
> so.

Er, I suspect you're confusing serial numbers with serial numbers.

3.1.1 of this draft is talking about the id-at-serialNumber attribute
in the Subject field (RFC 5280 4.1.2.6, naming attribute type
X520SerialNumber), a different thing entirely from the certificate
Serial Number (RFC 5280 4.1.2.2, type CertificateSerialNumber).  Just
to make things more interesting, both are called serialNumber in
different contexts.  Clear as mud, I know.

So, agreed that this probably does need clarification, but perhaps not
quite the clarification you thought it needed.