Dear Ben, all,

> On 16 Feb 2017, at 04:31, Ben Campbell <b...@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
> Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-sidr-delta-protocol-07: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidr-delta-protocol/

> COMMENT:
>
> - 3.4.1, 3rd paragraph: In a number of other protocols, a "User-Agent"
> header can be used for implementation fingerprinting, so that an attacker
> can guess what vulnerabilities might exist in that instance. Is that a
> concern here?

TL;DR:

This is not strictly required by the delta protocol and can be taken out if big
concerns exist. But I believe that this will help with operational planning of
changes in RPKI standards. I do not see big security concerns - obviously if I
did I would not have insisted to my co-authors that we should have this :)

Longer:

The "User-Agent" was introduced here solely to help capability tracking that
may help in operations of *other* changes in the RPKI standards.

For example: validation-reconsidered introduces new OIDs that when present will
lead to current RPs rejecting objects that use them. If this happens at the
trust anchor level that can be problematic. Because of this, the reconsidered
document includes an intended timeline where RP software MUST be updated with
this capability before CAs MAY use this. A timeline is one way to do this, but
being able to also actually track if updated RP software is really deployed is
useful.

Similarly capability tracking can help with other (currently unplanned) changes
in the RPKI: new object types, or changes to existing ones. And it can help if
we ever need to do an algorithm roll-over, e.g. to elliptic-curve instead of
RSA - then again knowing which proportion of RPs supports the new algorithm can
help.

On the other hand I do not see a huge security concern with this because even
though Repository Servers would know which version of RP software is deployed
where, they would not be able to attack them easily because RPs can normally be
contacted only inside the trusted network where they are operated: e.g. routers
using rpki-rtr.

> - 3.5.3.2, 2nd paragraph: The MAY sounds more like a statement of fact
> than permission.

yes, but whether the files *are* cached is a choice, so I thought a normative
MAY was in order. I don't particularly mind changing this though, because I
don't think it will lead to ambiguity.

> - 5.2, 2nd paragraph: The RECOMMENDED sounds like a statement of fact as
> worded.

I am not sure that I understand your comment.

We RECOMMEND that RP software polls the Update Notification File for changes.
We believe that is useful to mention here because new implementations may find
it useful and it sends a message to Repository Servers that they should be
prepared to deal with this.

However, another strategy can also be used. For example the current RIPE NCC
RPKI Validator will actually re-trigger a complete validation process every X
(configurable) minutes and then try to fetch updates. This works, but is
somewhat resource intensive for the RP.

Would it be better if we did not RECOMMEND, but rather said something like this?

RPs MAY poll the Update Notification File for changes, so that a potentially
resource intense RPKI validation process can be avoided if there is no new
content available.