Hi!

I just want to provide a little bit more background on the topic below – and
ask the Chairs to take an action to confirm with the WG.

During the discussion resulting from my AD review of this document [1], the
topic of whether the intent of the document was to replace rsync or not came up
(see M16 in my review) – after some discussion we came to a way forward [2],
which was to formally Update in RFC6480, RFC6481, and RFC7730 to change the
mandatory to implement requirement for rsync and leave instead “a retrieval
mechanism(s) consistent with the accessMethod element value(s)”.

Even though this discussion happened on the sidr list, I sent a message to the
WG asking for review of the changes [3]…but no reply was received.

As Terry mentions below, these changes removed “the quality of a mandatory to
implement retrieval mechanism”: rsync is no longer mandatory to implement, but
neither is RRDP.  I personally think that is ok because it also allows to more
flexibility; rsync or RRDP (or anything else “consistent with the accessMethod
element value(s)”), or both can be implemented as primary and/or backup.

**Chairs**:  Given that this is a significant change, and that the WG may have
not been focused on the discussion, and that we now have a little more time
given the fact that the IESG review of this document was deferred until Mar/2…
Please explicitly ask the WG to review the Updates to RFC6480, RFC6481 and
RFC7730.  I think that a week of discussion on the list should be enough.

Thanks!!

Alvaro.

[1]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sidr/u1WO8jNlvn-JzoVduhpPOKHjMfI/?qid=61717c3126a62454b45c426ced5d3344
[2]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sidr/a6kQUe7y456oLmTDrvrBqwR5oRI/?qid=61717c3126a62454b45c426ced5d3344
[3]
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/sidr/2d_dDJ5Ck2PMptK_N2tRGQNEDBk/?qid=61717c3126a62454b45c426ced5d3344

On 2/16/17, 10:17 AM, "iesg on behalf of Tim Bruijnzeels"
<iesg-boun...@ietf.org<mailto:iesg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
t...@ripe.net<mailto:t...@ripe.net>> wrote:

On 16 Feb 2017, at 03:03, Terry Manderson