Bipul,

Definitely one of the reasons can be the use of the XC functional. When I
was working with BaO in different phases, LDA would give me the wrong
sequence of energetics at zero pressure, while GGA would give a correct
prediction (paper is listed in the publications section of the siesta
homepage). You will probably get the correct qualitative behavior for
energetics with GGA.

If you want to have trustworthy results, better use highly converged
results for cutoff and k-points: usually the energy difference between two
phases as predicted by DFT is small, of the order of a (very!) few tens of
meV. So, I would check that the difference of energies with respect to
both mesh cutoff and k-points would be less than the smallest energy
difference between two phases.

For metals, I guess the main points to be careful about are:

1) k-points, when using a MP grid, should be extremely well-converged.
Usually you will have to go to a pretty dense MP grid (larger than 6x6x6,
perhaps). Unfortunately siesta doesn't allow one to specify arbitrary
k-points, in which case one could perhaps use the Baldereschi points. That
is, if they work for metals as well as for insulators, which I don't know
exactly.

2) The electronic smearing should be as low as possible.

Marcos

--
Dr. Marcos Verissimo Alves
Post-Doctoral Fellow

--------

I have become so addicted to vi that I try to exit OpenOffice by typing :wq!