Cherry,

It is rather strange that you have a hard time to converge with Pulay and
it gets easier with linear mixing. Have you considered using the "kick"
instead? Try using DM.NumberKick with a value that is apropriate for your
case (eg., the number of the step where you realize that the system starts
to oscillate in dDmax. Also, in the very beginning, it might be good to
use a low value for the mixing weight until the forces have gone down to
something reasonable, such as around 0.8 eV/Ang or lower. Then you can
restart the calculation with a higher value of beta. I guess that, if you
really want to do what you have in mind, youĺl have to hack into the
code...

Marcos

> Dear All,
>
> I wonder if anyone know how to do a linear mixing for the first a few steps
> then do the Pulay or Broyden mixing for the rest? I know you can write two
> .fdf
> files, the first one does linear, then the second one does Pulay using the
> .DM
> file. But in a relaxation process, you cannot do that for each step. I
> found
> the Pulay is particularly efficient, however sometimes the first several
> mixings by Pulay can make it never converge...
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Cherry

> that gives answers, not web links.

Dr. Marcos Verissimo Alves
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Sector
International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Trieste, Italy

--------

I have become so addicted to vi that I try to exit OpenOffice by typing :wq!