> Dear Macros,
>
> Thank you for your detailed explanation. Maybe my question is not very
> unambiguous in my previous mail.

Indeed...

> In fact, I want to know who is the major contributor to the stability of
> a certain sytem, such as to its ground state total energy. For Pt, Is
> the 5dx2-y2 atomic orbital, 5dxy, or the 5dz2 orbital? In addition, can
> the different space direction of these atomic orbital affect the
> structural stability of a sytem? Thanks again for your help.

That would depend on the structure of your metal. I don't remember exactly
the structure of Pt, but suppose that it is in a fcc structure, and take a
cubic cell. Then, the $d_{xz,xy,yz}$-orbitals, which would form covalent
(thus strong) bonds, would be pointing towards nearest-neighbors and
forming bonds, while the $z^2$ and $x^2-y^2$ would be pointing towards
nnn, and then would not be the main contributors to the stability of the
system, from a bonding point of view. If the structure were simple cubic,
then we would have the reverse situation: the two latter would be pointing
towards nn, and then they would be the ones to contribute the most. Of
course that's all from the point of view of physical argumentations in a
LCAO framework, but that's what siesta is all about, in the end... :)

However, I guess that you might want to know what the contribution is,
from DFT, to the bonding. In this case, I would not know exactly how to
proceed. Maybe some more experienced users in the list could give you some
advice on that, or maybe you can find some enlightenment in David G.
Pettifor's book "Bonding and Structure of Molecules and Solids", and in
Harrison's books on electronic structure.

Cheers,

Marcos