Marcos,

You are correct that the local potential scheme is different between SIESTA
and that typically
used in a PW implementation.

I took a look back at Figure 3 of the SIESTA method paper (on the website).
It clearly shows that as
the basis size increases from DZP, TZP, TZDP, TZTP, etc. the total energy
curves approaches the PW
result from _above_. Even at the DZP level, the example used here suggests
that there is still a difference
of ~0.1 eV/atom in the absolute total energy. So, let me be more precise in
my formulation of the question.

If the NL pseudopotential is decomposed identicaly (local and non-local
parts), can one directly compare
the total energies between SIESTA and a PW code, e.g. ABINIT? (Or is the
some reference energy
that needs to be substracte out.) Also, will the PW total energy be in
general lower the SIESTA energy
barring an overcompleteness of the local basis set.

Thanks for pointing out the work of Jean-Christophe Charlier. If there is a
specific published work or
online presentation, it would be nice if you can send us a link for more
information.