Hi Ian,

Most probably siesta differentiates between bulk, slabs, molecules and
atoms by checking a minimum distance of vacuum between the images in the
three cartesian or crystallographic directions - I am not sure as to how
much this minimum distance would be, but I guess the manual can provide
some hint. Otherwise, the code itself has this minimum distance set
somewhere in it.

Perhaps all you want to know is stated in the paper

The Siesta method for ab initio order-N materials simulation
José M. Soler, Emilio Artacho, Julian D. Gale, Alberto García, Javier
Junquera, Pablo Ordejón and Daniel Sánchez-Portal
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 14, 2745-2779 (2002)
arXiv:cond-mat/0111138, 8 Nov 2001.

which is the most updated description of the method.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Marcos

--
Dr. Marcos Verissimo Alves
Post-Doctoral Fellow

--------

I have become so addicted to vi that I try to exit OpenOffice by typing
:wq!