Also pay attention to the k-point sampling. According to Figure 4 of
Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng. 13 (2005) R1-R31

You *may* need to increase the k-point sampling substantially over what
you would for the total energy. There test case is a metal (Tantalum)
which are always more problematic than insulators.

I also recommend this primer to anyone doing DFT, even the more
experienced users on the list. It is very well written and points to many
pitfals commonly encountered in DFT calculations.