Dear Xiao,

Emilio's answer is reasonable as always. MD in a coarse grained grid shows
often discontinuities in total energy. What I don't understand on the
contrary is why the symmetry isn't recovered explicitly after each MD step
or, better after each self-consistent step. This would avoid any symmetry
drifts along time, and the raise of eventual unphysical complex eigenvalues.

This also raises another question related to the efficiency of H matrix
element calculation. Since H should be Hermitian by definition why aren't
just the upper triangular elements calculated and then copied by symmetry
into the lower triangular part. Naturally this would reduce the construction
time by two. If however all the elements are calculated I think a simple
symmetry recovery transformation would be simple and wise to implement.

Best Regards,

Cosmin

:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:
:
   Cosmin ROMAN, Ph.D. Student.
:
   TIMA-INPG, MNS Group,