Dear Eduardo, Andrei and all: Here is another question following the previous one.
I try to calculate the cohesive energy for certain carbon solid
system, for example, diamond. It is no problem to get a converged
total energy for diamond with respect to energy shift. However, we
have problem to get a proper reference energy for a single carbon
atom which does not converge with respect to energy shift. What do
you think if I just choose the same energy shift for carbon atom
as the one used in diamond solid system calculation? Does it help
to cancel some calculation error if we use same energy shift for
both systems? Thank you very much!
Sincerely yours,
Xu Lu
======================================
Xu Lu
---------------
Physics and Astronomy Department
4240 Biomedical &Physical Sci. Bldg
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-2320 USA
(517)884-5672 (office)
(517)4205973 (mobile)
(517)353-4500 (FAX)
http://www.msu.edu/~luxu

Eduardo Anglada writes:
Hi,
When you increase the energy shift then you decrease the cutoff radii,
so the energy increases. The behaviour of your plot is exactly what
you should expect. What you should converge is the total energy of
your condensed system, formed by multiple atoms. In that situation
the energy should converge (with a tolerance of a few mev) with
respect to the energy shift.
Best regards,