> Deal All,
> I know tried to replace the V atom with a C instead. After many CG steps,
> the same problem in the SCF run suddenly occured. Can it be an issue of
> compilation?
>
> -Joachim

Dear Joachim,
let's be systematic:

1) can you please confirm that the problem is not due to what I suggested
to check several days ago - the maximal spin set up by default on ALL
atoms?

2) does the electronic structure (either with V, or without) -
position of carbon 2s and 2p bands, charges - remains reasonable
until "the same problem in the SCF run suddenly occured"? Or are you
having weird results all the way through and only notice it when
they start to diverge? Sorry...

3) what happens "afer many CG steps" it terms of structure;
in which respect does the crashed structure differ from the good one?
You may have the .ANI file stored,
or just .XV files from the beginning and from immediately before
the crash. If it happens "suddenly" then some crazy forces calculated
on atoms might be responsible, whatever the reason for this.

Good luck

Andrei