Dear Siesta Users,

We are currently studying charged defects in bulk materials with SIESTA. In the case of such systems, the total energies obtained must be usually treated with care and a number of corrections can be applied. My question is about the way SIESTA accounts for these corrections or not.

I guess that charging a supercell (variable "netcharge") is performed, as in other codes, that is, by suppressing the G=0 Fourier component of the electrostatic potential to avoid divergence of the total energy (tell me if I'm wrong...). In the documentation of the code and in [Soler et al, J. Phys. Cond Matt 14 (2002), 2745], it is said that in that case, the Makov and Payne correction is added automatically (only in the case of SC, BCC or FCC cells).

Does it mean that using a charged cubic supercell, this correction is taken into account in the total energy provided by the code (whatever a molecule with vacuum around or a bulk supercell) ?

Any advice is wellcome.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Gregory