Hi Julie,

For solids:
There is a paper by Ambrosch-Draxl on calculating the optical
properties of solids (In the FP-LAPW basis). The third and fourth
pages are relevant though:
C. Ambrosh-Draxl, J O. Sofo, "Linear optical properties of solids
within the..." Comp. Phys. Comm. 175 (2006) pg 1-16
There is also a correction that needs to be included to the matrix
elements when calculating the transitions in momentum space because
siesta uses non-local pseudopotentials. The ref for that is:  Read A J
and Needs R J 1991 Phys. Rev. B 44 13071
For a good review of optical calculations in general see:
1.      Onida, G., L. Reining, and A. Rubio, Electronic excitations:
density-functional versus many-body Green's-function approaches.
Reviews of Modern Physics, 2002. 74(2): p. 601-659.

Cheers,
Marty