Hello Alberto,

Thanks for your answer. Comments below...

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Alberto Garcia <alber...@icmab.es> wrote:

> Nicolas,
>
> There are two possible reasons for the differences.
>
> 1. If the system is an insulator, the placement by Siesta of the Fermi
> level is rather arbitrary: you can count on it being in the gap, but
> the actual
> location will depend on how many states you start with in the
> bisection algorithm used. Mprop uses a different algorithm. In this
> case the physics
> does not depend on the location, as long as it is in the gap.

My system is not an insulator : it's functionnalized graphene with a shifted
band crossing at the Dirac point (somewhere on the path between K' and
\Gamma). So it is still semi-metallic.

Or does the mere fact I am calculating with SIESTA the wave-functions (.WFSX
input to be used with mprop) at the \Gamma point only interferes somehow in
the algorithm?

> 2. In general, mprop will work with a certain (gaussian) smearing.
> Siesta would have used  typically a Fermi-Dirac smearing, according to
> the electronic temperature specified. If you use a more or less
> equivalent smearing in mprop, you should get similar values for the
> Fermi level.

If point 1 does not concern me, it should be related to this point. But it
does not fix the issue :

   -  In the .EIG file of the SIESTA run, my electronic temperature is 350 K
   (which corresponds roughly to 0.03 eV). I obtain a Fermi energy energy of
   -4.7 eV.
   -  In the .stt file after mprop post-processing with the same 0.03 eV
   smearing, I obtain a Fermi energy value of -6.4 eV.

The discrepancy between the two values is still considerable.

Any other comments/ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas

>   Alberto
>

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Nicolas Leconte
> <lecontenico...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Quick question. Is there a particular reason the Fermi energy value
> obtained
> > by a regular SIESTA calculation in the *.EIG file is different in
> absolute
> > value from the one found in the .stt file after a COOP analysis with the
> > mprop executable in the Util directory?
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Nicolas

Responder a