Dear all users,
I am involved in band structure calculations for armchair and zigzag
nanoribbons and I have problems with the appropriate k-point sampling. My
problem is like this:
Initially, I calculated the band structure for graphene and zigzag NR
without specifying any k-points. The results (with Meshcutoff level 800 Ry
and 400 Ry respectively) were quite good. But when I tried to calculate
the band structure for armchair (5 rings width) NR I got absolutely wrong
results, moreover, in spite of symmetrical configuration I obtained the
non-zero significant dipole moment perpendicular to the ribbon (even
with 400 Ry MCutoff).
Then I generated a k-point grid using
%block kgrid_Monkhorst_Pack
45 0 0 0.5
0  1 0 0.5
0  0 1 0.5
%endblock kgrid_Monkhorst_Pack
 and I got correct results (no dipole moment and reasonable FE and band
structure).

FIRST problem that I encountered was that when I tried to recalculate BS
for zigzag NR with the SAME k-point grid I got an enormous dipole moment
(perpendicular to the ribbon) and wrong BS and FE level. Why is it so?

SECOND problem is that when I doubled the elementary cell for 5-rings
width armchair ribbon (using the SAME k-point grid and 400 Ry MCoff level)
just to make sure that I will get the same good results I got again an
enormous Dip moment and incorrect Band Structure.

And THIRD (mysterious) problem is that when I tried to calculate Band
Structure for an isolated flake of armchair NR (3*5 rings size) I got non
zero Dip moment (in this case for x- and y- directions) that is nonsense.

I guess, the problem is how to define correctly k-grid in these three
cases, but I don't know how. I performed the convergence test increasing
the number of k-points but neither dipole moment nor FE level demonstrate
the monotonic behaviour, so I could not reach the correct results.

Any help will be appreciated.

Artem Baskin,
PhD student,
University of Illinois at Chicago