On 24 Aug 2016 21:55, "Yangchuan Li" <liyangch...@utexas.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> I really appreciate your answer. It makes my work more efficient.
> Recently I also do a siesta speed test. It's a geometry optimization
running. I select k grid to be 1x1x4. And I run on 64, 128, 256 cores.
There is no speed up as a result.
> So, is it right to make the following summary?
> 1. siesta is parallel across k points (points in .KP file which after
symmetry analysis).
No, by default siesta is parallel over orbitals. Unless you specifically
request k parallelization.
However, there is a limit to the scalability (for any code), say if your
system have very few orbitals then parallelization to many cores will be
dominated by overhead.
> 2. transiesta is parallel across energy points, which is the sum of three
variable (TS.ComplexContour.NumCircle, TS.ComplexContour.NumLine,
TS.ComplexContour.NumPoles)
Yes.
> 3. tbtrans is parallel across k points, which is not related with kz. But
the kxy point after symmetry analysis.
No, tbtrans is also parallel across energy points.
> 4. There is no need to use cores more than energy points.
For tbtrans and transiesta, this is currently true.
> Is there anything wrong with my understanding?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Best regards,
> Yangchuan Li
> Graduate research assistant
> ME | UT Austin
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Nick Papior <nickpap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Transiesta does not calculate the transmission, so the number of energy
points is irrelevant for this calculation.

>> The number of points for transiesta is determined from the flags
explained in section 8.7.3 of siesta 4.0 manual.
>> See here:
>> https://launchpad.net/siesta/4.0/4.0/+download/siesta.pdf
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kind regards Nick Papior
>>

>> On 19 Aug 2016 22:16, "Yangchuan Li" <liyangch...@utexas.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Nick,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer. Yes, you are right. In the output of tbtrans
the number of energy points is 43.
>>> But how can I know the number ahead? In electrode the k-points are
1x1x10, in system the k-pts are 1x1x100. And I select 121 points in
transmission vs energy plot. How transiesta select the final points to be
43?
>>> Hope you can answer this so I can use resources efficiently. I
appreciate your answer. Thanks.

>>> Yangchuan
>>> Graduate research assistant
>>> ME | UT Austin

points. This means you probably have between 33 and 64 energy points on
your contour.

cluster. I run a job of 380 atoms with different number of cores. And here
is the result. The running time doesn't include tbtrans running.

while increase the cores from 64 doesn't give me anything.

--
Kind regards Nick

Responder a