----- I. Camps <ica...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Dear Andrei,
>> Thank you very much for your email.
>> What I mean by convergence study is:
> - I choose the accuracy for my energy calculations
> - Do several calculations with different values of meshcutoff energies
> - Plot the system energy (converged within the accuracy selected previously)
> - Select the value of meshcutoff from were the system energy is stable
>> Is this ok?
> []'s,
> Camps

Dear Camps,This is OK up to the last point. What is your definition of
"stable"?Does the energy have to be stable to within 0.01 eV or 0.1 meV ? This
would of coursedepend on your problem under study. Moreover, the "system
energy" as such(the absolute value as it comes out of the calculation) has no
big meaning;what really interests you is typically the difference of this
energy from someother energy (that of different phase, different magnetic
state, etc.).This physically meaningful difference may converge to physically
meaningful accuracy faster (or, on the contrary, slower)than you might have
guessed while looking at your [system energy vs cutoff] plot.
Best regardsAndrei

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Andrei Postnikov
<andrei.postni...@univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:
A small comment to the latest remarks,sorry as it must be obvious:it hardly
makes sense to run the convergence test on a calculation of just one
molecule(or, in any standalone calculation) because you wont't have a cluewhat
exactly, and to which accuracy, should be converged.Typically, you are after
the energy difference between two (or more) cases:atoms vs molecule, free
molecule + surface vs adsorbed molecule, etc.The  convergence to be checkedis
that of the meaningful energy difference, to the accuracy you need.
Best regards
Andrei Postnikov
----- I. Camps <ica...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Dear Riya,

Its always good that, instead selecting those parameters (cutoff energy, cell
parameters, numbers of k points, etc.) manually, you run convergence test. In
this way, maybe you get smaller values for them and then less computational
resources involved.
[]'s,

Camps

Dear Dr Camps

On 18-Dec-2016 2:40 am, "I. Camps" <ica...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me how to calculate energy of one molecule of gas.
>Should I take molecule inside lattice?
> Or
> Should I follow the following example1:
>http://personales.unican.es/junqueraj/JavierJunquera_files/Metodos/Basic/Basic-exercises.html
SIESTA is designed for periodic calculation, so, you have to put your molecule
inside a fictional lattice. The lattice vectors should be big enough to not get
interaction between two neighborhood molecules. Take a look in the second
example. Also, you can check how SIESTA is treating your system (molecular,
surface, slab, etc.) in the output file.

>Does k points n meshcutoff and basis set info req?Yes.

K vectors has meaning only for periodic system, so, in case of a molecule, only
one is needed (the gamma point (0,0,0).
For the meshcutoff, you should do the convergence study as usually.
The basis set should be selected according the accuracy you want or need (as in
any SIESTA calculation).
Regards,
--
[]`s