Dear Siesta Users and Developers

A fairly simple and perhaps naive question: How to find out the valence of a
doping atom in calculated system?

I tried to utilize Mulliken, Hirshfeld, and Voronoi atomic populations analysis
to find out the valence of doping atom, however these three schemes often give
very different results.

Moreover, the obtained values of the “dQatom” are far away from the valences
that are widely accepted for given species. For example, typical valences of
the Cobalt atom are: Co(2+) or Co(3+), i.e., 2 or 3 electrons are expected to
be removed from the valence-shell s orbital or from the s and d orbitals.
Nevertheless, using these three schemes, I typically get dQatom = +0.3….+0.6,
i.e. the Co atom has lost 0.3-0.6 electrons, which seems extremely small and
disagree with available literature data for some similar systems. These values
are obtained taking into account the electrons on polarized 4Pp orbitals (by
default), while I doubt whether these orbitals should be used in my analysis?

I will be grateful for any clarification on how to correctly determine the
valence of an atom.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

With kind regards,
Dmitriy Muzychenko
--
SIESTA is supported by the Spanish Research Agency (AEI) and by the European
H2020 MaX Centre of Excellence (http://www.max-centre.eu/)