Hi, Karen,

There are several facets in this issue:

* When a finite temperature (smearing) is used just for convergence
acceleration, the free energy is a
computational artifact that is formally needed to restore the variational
property. Tests for the size of the smearing and
for the fineness of the k-point grid should be carried out to monitor the
convergence.

* A given client code might be interested, rather than in the free energy, in
the zero-temperature (extrapolation to zero-smearing) E_tot, rather than in the
free energy. Depending on the type of smearing, E_tot and E_free deviate from
each other: the difference is quadratic in the smearing for Fermi-Dirac
smearing, but much smaller for Methfessel-Paxton or for the cold-smearing of
Marzari and Vanderbilt. (See the article by Kresse and Furthmuller [1])

* There is only one slot for the energy in the i-PI protocol specification, and
it is not clear what that energy should be.

Depending on your use case, you might want to use MP or cold smearing. There
could also be an enhancement of the i-PI protocol to negotiate the kind of
'energy' to be sent. Maybe an fdf flag in Siesta could be used to select what
is sent through the interface. What do other codes send through the interface?

  Best regards,

  Alberto

[1] Kresse, G., and J. Furthmüller. 1996. “Efficiency of Ab-Initio Total Energy
Calculations for Metals and Semiconductors Using a Plane-Wave Basis Set.”
Computational Materials Science 6 (1): 15–50.
https://doi.org/10.1016/0927-0256(96)00008-0.

----- El 2 de Noviembre de 2021, a las 22:22, Karen Fidanyan

--
SIESTA is supported by the Spanish Research Agency (AEI) and by the European
H2020 MaX Centre of Excellence (http://www.max-centre.eu/)

Responder a