On 2/13/14, 13:08 , Masato Yamanishi wrote:
Dear SIG members

A new version of the proposal "prop-110: Designate 1.2.3.0/24 as Anycast
to support DNS Infrastructure" has been sent to the Policy SIG for review.

Information about earlier versions is available from:

http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-110

You are encouraged to express your views on the proposal:

- Do you support or oppose this proposal?

I support the proposal, to the extent that matters as I don't represent any resources in the APNIC region.

- Is there anything in the proposal that is not clear?

The new version deals with several issues already discussed on the list. However, the text is now clear that this prefix is intended "for use in the context of locally scoped infrastructure". Therefore as a consequence, I think it would be helpful to clarify that it is acceptable to filter this prefix at an administrative boundary, if an operator desires. Further, it should be made clear it is not acceptable to advertise this prefix to the Global Internet.

- What changes could be made to this proposal to make it more effective?

If this becomes policy, I wonder if anyone will think that APNIC or the APNIC Community is recommending this practice, rather than just facilitating the practice for those that want to use it, by making the allocation. Maybe some disclaimer type language would be appropriate.

Maybe something like this;

This proposal only recommends the assignment of this prefix for the proposed use. The proposal is silent on the details what situations the proposed use is advisable, it may be appropriate in some situations and not others. The proposal merely facilitates the proposed use of the prefix. It is explicitly the responsibility of any network operator contemplating the use of this prefix to consider the pros and cons, and determine for themselves if use of this prefix is appropriate within their network. In other words, use at your own risk.

David Farmer               Email: far...@umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952