Hi,

This all seems quite disappointing, when it should have been quite positive. SIG-Policy was 'that close' it seems, and I'd like to dig into how such a change is possible. Being candid, I am not adequately versed in the nuances of what makes the EC's last-minute decision something permissible, yet don't feel like what's taken place this week re: prop-155 demonstrates a properly functional process.

My understanding of what's happened up to here:

/prop-155 reached consensus and was endorsed, so the 'work is done' there if not then amended by APNIC EC as they have done - which triggers a need/case for the endorsement to become somewhat null and void, and for discussions to recommence (ie. at least partially restart the process), in the hope a similar change is not again done at the 11th hour by the EC alone. This seems quite a failure of the policy development process./

Some multi-pronged queries/perspectives around this:

1. Speaking of policy, in this case how does the EC's /"The EC has also decided to waive..."/ fit in? I see no ground for it in Step 5[1]. Can this be done pre-/post-endorsement? It feels like going behind the backs of SIG-Policy members despite the intentions likely being positive within APNIC's EC. 2. If there is technically no valid route to the amendment they've applied after the fact (in the way it's been done), how can that be handled except/in-addition-to returning it to the list for further discussions? 3. Are there other cases where the EC has made a change like this at such a stage? To that end, is there a trend? Should there not be safety nets which means approved-prop=approved-prop? It seems very strange that a presumably-well-defined process can become unstuck in this way, as it undermines a lot of the time and effort invested by SIG members and the community more broadly. 4. By-law reforms have been completed thanks to major community efforts - the instigator was told it would be impossible but alas no. One of the key provisions is to ensure that APNIC is a well-protected entity. Fee waiving does not seem to align with a NIC's goals. Why was it done here? To encourage IPv6? Who in particular agreed together within the EC/APNIC to make the 11th hour change, and based on what? 5. Do we have enough of a divide between the SIG/s and the EC, as implied by Aftab, to invite further direct discussions to this end, attempting to get the EC on the same page more generally? Shorter version: Should this example lead to procedural/policy changes to prevent a recurrence? 6. With the APNIC EC members sworn into confidentiality via formal NDA, not permitted to record conversations[2], and unable to share any EC information without express permission, it seems there is somewhat of a silo which /should/ be okay if processes are strongly & clearly defined. Are members of this SIG comfortable with the existing structure, communication and transparency? If not, what would you change and why? 7. Reviewing at high-level the Policy Development Process (APNIC-111-v003), it seems there is insufficient clarity and explanation within, most notably while there appears to be no provision for the last-minute EC-authored changes, there is similarly no specific restriction otherwise either. Does the SIG view this as an opportunity to separately move to strengthen this document, to eliminate any gaps which could be mis-used?

Is the SIG comfortable this is a once-off? The EC is obviously comfortable enough with their last-minute amendments per their wording below which implies that prop-155 as-amended will steam ahead. SIG-Policy has said no to that, however at a glance this entire case seems improper and not explicitly OK. However, I lack sufficient knowledge and history in this space to make concrete statements, hence my broad requests for clarity, and long-winded email which attempts to decipher what appears to be the elephant in the room.

/"The EC has also decided to waive the fees on IPv6 PI assignments under this policy..."/

/"The Secretariat will begin the implementation process and inform the community as soon as it is completed."/

Which seems to reinforce the need for more oversight/policy in these edge cases, as otherwise it seems the processes for APNIC SIGs may be undermined in cases where the EC deems it appropriate, even where the clearly-defined process has not led to the same determinations. Just like with the by-law reforms, it seems this eventuality has highlighted some potentially glaring issues that should be tightened up to avoid a repeat?

At the moment, it seems there are 8 people[3] on the Executive Council, and I'd imagine a change like this requires majority. So hopefully more insights can be shared not just into the questions posed, but also more generally into how the SIGs can expect the EC to interact with them into the future - with a view towards more transparency & accountability, and sharing any other internal plans which they aim to stitch into props.

Appreciate your time in clarifying on the above. Please note some of the numbered points contain multiple questions. I may be off-base with some or all of this, and appreciate in advance clarification where I'm unaware of other realities, etc - always happy to learn, be wrong, etc.

Thank you,
Luke Thompson

[1] https://www.apnic.net/about-apnic/corporate-documents/documents/policy-development/development-process/#4 [2] https://www.apnic.net/about-apnic/organization/structure/apnic-executive-council/ec-roles-and-obligations/ [3] https://www.apnic.net/about-apnic/organization/structure/apnic-executive-council/ec-members/