On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Janne Huttunen <jahut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Add flags for indicating that the meter has selected the measured
> quantitiy and/or the used measurement model automatically. These
> are similar to the existing auto-range flag.

Actually, this got me into thinking; would it make more sense
to model these as (read/list only) config keys with enumerated
values?

My LCR meter apparently doesn't support remote control, but it
would be a perfect candidate for it. It has only two input
terminals and no physical switches - only momentary pushbuttons.
It would thus be possible to control all aspects of the meter
remotely, except maybe turn it on or enable the PC link.

So, if the meter would be such a good candidate for remote
control, I'm sure some LCR meters out there do actually support
it. In that case the measured quantity and equivalent model
selection should be configurable anyways, so why not export them
as such already? This would also save two precious flags.

Looking at the existing code, the precedent seems to be to export
enumerated config values as strings, right? This would mean that
I would define something like these:

SR_CONF_MEASURED_QUANTITY (SR_T_STRING)

  "AUTO"
  "INDUCTANCE"
  "CAPACITANCE"
  "RESISTANCE"

SR_CONF_EQUIV_CIRCUIT_MODEL (SR_T_STRING)

  "AUTO"
  "PARALLEL"
  "SERIES"

Any LCR meter driver that supports remote control could then
define also _set() method for these.

Any opinions/comments?