I'm not really understanding all this antagonism towards the STM32F103 and its clones. Yes, it's an old chip and ST's current offerings are more advanced. FWIW, I'm currently working on a heterogeneous design which uses a STM32F767 master connected to many STM32L031 slaves. Much more powerful/efficient chips, and much nicer to write code for.

If it's a moral objection to misappropriation of ST's IP, or the Chinese dumping products below cost onto the international market, I agree in principle. But ST is a huge, wealthy multinational corporation and can defend its patents it so chooses. As to the macroeconomic issue, I have zero ability to influence things on that scale.

The fact remains that the "Blue Pill" boards, clones or no, are widely available for very little cost and are quite capable systems when viewed on their own. The Chinese vendors are slowly making STM32F401/407/411 boards available, but they're more expensive, less standardized, and the price/performance ratio isn't that different. ST's own Nucleo and Discovery evaluation platforms are better yet (I'm using one to prototype the F767 design) but once you get into their price range the alternatives at the same cost -- a more capable logic analyzer using a Cypress FX2 plus FTDI/CP20x USB-to-serial and similar SPI/I2C converters -- start to be a better choice. I'm aware of the Greaseweazle fake identification photos and tests. If anything, "buck50" exercises more of the chip's peripherals so anything that's broken will show up. Dirt cheap hardware plus free open-source software equals "caveat emptor". I wrote "buck50" partly as an exercise in what could be done with limited hardware. Because it uses my efficient and (I claim) easy to use "regbits", "regbits_stm", and "papoon_usb" code instead of ST's bloated HAL/LL/Cube libraries, the entire binary is approximately 20KB, so 64 vs 128KB of flash isn't an issue. (Having more than 20KB of RAM for sample storage would be nice, but again pushes up into the more expensive chips.) BTW, the most recent batch of "Blue Pills" I received *are* 128KB.

Back to sigrok PulseView: @Uwe Bonnes, any thoughts you could share regarding sparse time-sampled data and memory consumption in PV? Should I dive in and see if I can do anything to improve the situation? (Very busy right now, but I can put it on my infinitely deep stack of future projects.)

--
MARK
markrubn@...