Test confirmed that the question is solved:
When I tried this out:

ref = find(image.png).getCenter()

I get this error:

[error] TypeError ( offset(): expected 2 args; got 1 )

When in actuality my code was:

dragDrop(ref.offset(Location(150, 390)), ref.offset(Location(335, 125)))

I finally was able to find a workaround doing the following:

    hover(ref.offset(Location(150, 390)))
    mouseDown(Button.LEFT)
    Settings.MoveMouseDelay = 5
    mouseMove(ref.offset(Location(335, 125)))
    mouseUp()

So what I realized I hadn't tried out was using the lower level
functions of the mouse AND changing the speed of the cursor movement.
Works like a charm.