When the window is first displayed, the vertical scroll bar is present. I
increase the height of the window until the vertical scroll bar is no longer
present.  I am using an image of the up arrow on the vertical scroll bar so
that I can break out of the loop when the vertical scrollbar is no longer
present.   In the scenario I am testing, after increasing the window height
once, the vertical scroll bar is not present, but the else condition in the
loop is not executed as I was expecting.  The while loop continues to execute
until  maxSteps is 0 and then exits the loop instead of breaking out of the
loop when maxSteps is 2. I would appreciate some help with getting the code
snippet below to work correctly. I have looked at the FAQs.  This line of code
"if (null != reg.exists(arrowImage, 0)) "is not getting a null value even when
the scroll bar is no longer present in the window.

code snippet:

Screen screen = new Screen();
                        Region reg;
                        reg = new Region(screen); //Screen is a region
                        reg = App.focusedWindow(); // the region of the
currently frontmost window
                        int maxSteps = 3;
                        int steps = 1;
                        //increase window height until the vertical scroll bar
is no longer present
                        while (maxSteps > 0){
                               //check if the up arrow on the vertical scroll
bar is present
                                if (null != reg.exists(arrowImage, 0)){
                                reg.click(increaseWindowHeightImage); //click
on increase height image
                                reg.wait(0.5);
                                maxSteps -= steps;

                            }
                            else
                            {// arrow image not found; so break out of loop
                                logger.info("vertical scroll bar not present");
                                break;
                            }
                        }//end while