aidma proposed the following answer:
First you need to get the text from a region and store it in a variable.
For example, I have a region with the text:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

and I know that region is defined by Region(0, 50, 600, 300)
[http://sikulix-2014.readthedocs.org/en/latest/region.html] . Because
sikuli code is written in python, I'm going to save the text into a
list, not an array. I'm going to split the text into the list at every
SPACE. (you can split it up differently if you'd like)

So, I write my Sikuli code into the SikulixIDE 1.1.0 editor:

====================== CODE =======================
# Ensure Ocr is turned on (you must have chosen the correct
# sikuli-setup options to use these Settings)
Settings.OcrTextSearch = True
Settings.OcrTextRead = True

# Define my Region
textRegion = Region(0,50,600,300)

# Grab text from my region and store it in the strText variable
# textRegion.text() will return a string
strText =  textRegion.text()

# Divide the contents of strText into an array, using the SPACE
# character as the delimiter
listText = strText.split(" ")

# Now listText contains text from a region in an array.
print "strText: ", strText
print "listText: ", listText

When Run, this code outputs:
strText: Thequick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
listText: ['Thequick', 'brown', 'fox', 'jumps', 'over', 'the', 'lazy', 'dog']

As you can see, a small mistake was made: the space between "The" and
"quick" was missed. OCR in sikuli is still very experimental and doesn't
work perfectly. Only use it if you accept its inaccuracies.