Jonathan confirmed that the question is solved:
I have hived off a large section the file into another file and split it
into two functions that are then called in the original file. This seems
to have solved the problem. I was half expecting that the two new
functions would have to be in separate files but this was not the case.

Although this has solved the problem I'm not sure that it is correct
that there is a limit on the size of a file being imported.

Jonathan