joseytw gave more information on the question:
Ahhh geez, I just looked in the bug section.  I didn't think to check
there because I assumed it was working correctly.  It looks like this
was bugged in 1.0.1 and slated for fix in 1.1.0:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/sikuli/+bug/1241993

So I am guessing that is the problem right there... and after all of
these hours banging my forehead onto my desk if I had just checked one
last place (bugs) I would have had my answer.

 Le sigh.  :)

Just so I am clear, using a 0 for (r.exists(p/similar(.9f), 0) in
combination with 'Settings.WaitScanRate = 100;' (when it is working)
should make it so that a return is made in .01 seconds, correct?