Glowing Crystalline Entity confirmed that the question is solved:
This seems to be working, cool. :)

I realize I was actually thinking about some sort of "interrupt"
functionality.  That is, when the background observer sees the image, it
would generate an interrupt to stop the mouse wheel scrolling in the
foreground thread; rather than the foreground thread polling for the
event.  I know something like that could be done in Java... not sure
about Python (which I'm using at the moment).

is an answer contact for Sikuli.